Monday, December 9, 2019

The Student Athlete life

I want to talk about the college experience of a student-athlete. I'm a student-athlete and I play field hockey. During our season, which goes from August 19 to November 9, we have practice every single morning, from 6:45-9:15 am and then lift from 9:30-10:30. This means I have to get up every morning at around 5:45 during season, but don't get me wrong, I love doing that! I don't eat breakfast before practice in the morning, because it is simply to early for that. After lift I eat a protein bar and I have a protein drink. Then I hurry to my dorm to shower, and to be in time for my 11:00 am class. By the time I arrive for my first class, I already finished an intire practice and lift. My classes usually end at around 3:00 pm, some days at 4:45 pm. After my classes I go to study tables in North Quad. As a student athlete I'm required to finish 6 hours of study tables every week. On a day I usually do around 1,5 hour of stuyding at tables. If my classes ended early, this is the time to go back to my dorm and call my parents and catch up with them. If my classes end late, I go straight to dinner after stuying. Then I go back to my dorm, by this time it is around 7:00 pm. I do a bit more homework, and often times I have to pack for a travel day. I also talk with my teammates, fellow freshman and upper classmen, about tactics in games, or we just discuss the morning practice. Sometimes I have an individual meeting in the evening with my assistant coach in Worthen Arena. I make notes and make sure I'm ready to go for the next morning. I go to bed around 10:00 pm, because I have to get up early again the next morning to do it all again.
I love doing all this day in day out. There is only one thing that botters me: the fact that Non-student-athletes keep finding the courage to complain to me about 'how early they got up that day (10:00 am)' and 'how they have NO free time at all and have so much to do'. This really annoys me, because I see how you can easily do so much more in a day in be so much more productive. 
To all the non student-athletes out there: take a look at the schedule of a student athlete, and learn from it! You can do so much more in a day. And last but not least: stop complaining about lack of time!!

3 comments:

  1. I can see your point in this but there are other factors other than you do sports and other people dont. Many people in college have other things they have to do in there daily tasks that you might not of thought of. Some people have to commute to school and they could possibly be driving for an hour each day just to get to class. Other people might have a more heavy class load and are spending more time in class or studying for class. people also have jobs outside of class and can spend up to 5 hours a day at work. people may also have things like clubs or groups for school related things. In reality theres many things many people could be spending time on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you that student athletes do have a busy time in college and im not trying to take credit from how hard you work. Im just trying to show you that theres many other things that people do in college that you might not of thought of. But overall nice work and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, athletics is such a huge part of your schedule. I honestly envy you a little because while I am great full to have plenty of time to complete my assignments, I sometimes take that time for granted and spend it carelessly. Your schedule will have such a positively impact on your life now and in the future.

    ReplyDelete